Previous Blog Posts

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Communication

The subject I am writing about today is communication. The communication between men and women, which for eons has always been a mystery. They say Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. The problem is we as men don't speak Venusian. So needless to say that conversations between the genders can something gets lost in translation. I know that to understand someone that you should listen to what is being said from one person to another but we as men usually have a one track mind. I can remember times when my wife would be talking to me about something and my mind would wonder off on eating. My stomach had more sway over my mind at that point and my wife would look at me and say "Did you hear anything that I just said?" And of course I respond "Yea" in all reality I am scrambling to try to remember what she just said. I mean how hard should it be to listen to someone for just a few minutes, yet as men sometimes our attention span prevent us doing just that, listen. I know it is crude, but I know that sometimes we are just on different level of communicating when it comes to genders. A woman and a man can listen to the same speech from a speaker and if you were to interview them about what they interrupted from the speaker each would give you a different perspective on the same speech. Why is that, I in my opinion, it is become woman are more active listeners. Is that to say then men are inferior in this department, the answer is no. A man can become an active listener but I think that it is just more instinctive for a woman to do what usually is natural for them. And yes I understand that all women are not like this, there are always exceptions to the rule. I think that once someone masters the art of listening, then the act of communicating becomes exceptionally easier. I know that my wife has an easier time understanding my littlest daughter who is learning to speak and her level of communicating. She telling my wife and me the same thing and yet my wife is quicker to understand her. Why is that, It's not that I am not listening to her but my mind is trying to process and interrupt what she is say and what it doesn't understand, it makes assumptions to figure what I want her to be saying. I get that she spends more time with her but lately because of my injury I have had the opportunity to spend a good amount of time with my baby girl and yet still don't the level of comprehension that my wife has with my daughter.  I am under reconstruction to try and learn and decipher the language of women. I want to become a better communicator with my wife, my kids, my friend and co-workers. It's been eye opening reading articles online about communicating and learning new ways to become an active listener, its not as easy as one thinks. So as I continue and practice my efforts to communicate better with people. I get to use my blog as means to test how I am coming along in my learning. Hopefully I will be a better talker, a better story teller and better husband and writer once I have a grasp of what it means to be a communicator. Maybe even one day I will be on the level of that of a mother, a wife, a women who just knows how to listen, understand, decipher conversation. So until next time we meet....it was....Just a Thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Thought....Coping.

Just a Thought....Coping. I write this post tonight with a different heart and mindset. One of the hardest things to accept when you go down...