Previous Blog Posts

Monday, August 27, 2018

Driving


Today's topic is about is something we all have to do survive in this society, and that is driving.
I have been in the delivery transportation industry for going on 25 years, most of those have been
behind the wheel. I have learned defensive driving and have taught some defensive driving classes
to others. Learning to be a proactive driver takes practice and patience. There are certain set of skills
that you learn that really heighten your sense of awareness while driving out on the roadways and
some of these principals have really helped me get of out of sticky situations. I have seen plenty of
bad drivers out there on the roadways. But most of my time I would pay attention to the road and hold
my concentration back to driving. Since my injury, I have had to spend time in the passenger seat,
which almost a totally new experience for me. Especially since as long as I can remember, I have
had to drive everywhere I went, it's very rare that I sat in a car as a passenger. So as I had no choice
but sit in the car as a co-pilot because I cannot drive, I have taken notice of other drivers as never
before and I must I was thoroughly shocked as to how many bad drivers there is in the roads. I come
to realize that most people either don’t know how to drive or don’t give a shit about the rules of the road.
Just watching people drive to with my wife while I ride with her when she goes to pick up my kids is
just at time ridiculous. The impatience that most people have is so utterly disgusting and it's a wonder
that there haven’t been more wrecks or injured children. I watched one person speed out of the school
parking lot while parents and children are walking all around, I saw people running red lights, cut people
off so they didn’t have to wait and people with just a blatant disregard for the law. I often wonder to
myself, how did these people get a fucking license. It’s incredible the dumb things I see people do while
driving, reading, changing clothes, of course playing on their phones, eating. I shouldn’t be surprised
how bad people drive because we put no effort in to training our next generation of drivers. You take an
examination at your local Department of Motor Vehicles, which you only have to pass a certain
percentile of questions to get a learners permit. Practice a few times driving, take the driver test,
which again if you make the minimum number of mistakes that day, you pass and are a licensed
driver. It takes more to get  licensed to ride a motorcycle than it is to drive a car. Which to me makes
no sense at all. Being behind the wheel of a car is privilege and great responsibility that for some people,
they could care less about safety. It’s rush, rush, rush. Rush to work, rush home, rush to the store,
rush to their date, rush to their night out with friends. The main ingredient in so many accidents is speed
and negligence. If people would be more patient with driving, I think we would all commute safer and
have less problems on the road. I never understood why people who are running late rush, I have
always been under the impression that it is better to arrive late than to not arrive at all. But it would be
foolish for me to believe that is going to happen. People are going to continue to rush, and people will
continue to have accidents, it’s just human nature. Because so many selfish people out there that
only their lives matter and rules don’t apply to them. You’ve seen them before, The person driving down
the shoulder in a big traffic jam because they can’t be late to their shift at McDonald’s, the person
speeding down the interstate in the rain because they are immune to hydroplaning because they are in
a big 4 x4 truck with huge tires. The driver cutting across four lanes of high speed traffic because they
don’t want to miss their exit. These type of people are the people I see everyday and these are the
type of people who can’t believe that they were in an accident, go figure. But let them tell you, they
are good drivers,”I have never had an accident.” Doesn’t always constitute you are a good driver
either, it usually means you have been fortunate enough to have stayed out of harm's way. Driving is
a skill and like any skill it has be learned with practice and a good teacher to show the proper course
of action when driving. So for all you readers, please take your time today when out on the street and
be mindful of those around you. Be safe and until tomorrow, this was …..just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Thought....Coping.

Just a Thought....Coping. I write this post tonight with a different heart and mindset. One of the hardest things to accept when you go down...