Previous Blog Posts

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Romantic Comedy



Today I wanted to write about a subject that is very near and dear to my heart. I speak of the Romantic Comedy. I have always love watching movies, action, drama, suspense but my favorite is the romantic comedy. I know what your already thinking, a guy who digs chick flicks. In a sense, yes I love what is commonly referred to as chick flicks but with good reason.The stories always seem to fill with the love, hope and a warm fuzzy feeling that true love will always prevail despite terrible circumstances. As of lately the dominate genre of movies being produced is either horror movies or Super hero movies. Don't get me wrong, I love super hero movies. My brother and I grew up read comic books and seeing some of the people we read about all those years ago is nothing short of exhilarating but I found a special place in my heart for the romantic comedy. Like anything in Hollywood, once a genre becomes popular then every other studio or production company tries to mimic that success. Once something breaks the monotony of a genre and becomes successful, then the cycle begins again and a mad rush to create the next big success begins. Two usually have to be in place for a big change to happen in Hollywood, one is a big profit margin the other is the temperature of society when a movie is created. I have seen that when a cycle of genre is over and writers don't keep up, the next wave will crash leaving a void in genres and a lot of bad movies being produced. The last good romantic comedy that came along and I thought was really good was "The Big Sick." It was a great look at love from the aspect of falling in love in an interracial relationship. Very touching and heartwarming, kind of "While You Were Sleeping", feel to the love story. I really enjoyed the comedy, the humor was pretty spot on and it left me feel good at the end of the story. I think a good Rom-Com should leave you feeling that way. When a movie is too good like "Love Actually", its spurns many copy cats that aren't nearly on par as the original. "Love Actually" was something different and brought a new aspect to how romantic comedies could be made, following four or five different love stories and making them intertwine seamlessly is very hard to pull off. Many various films like "New Years Eve", Valentine's Day" "He's Just Not That into You" all tried to copy that formula but without the success of "Love Actually" In the 90's was the hey day of the Rom-Com., "When Harry Met Sally" started it off. Followed by "Sleepless in Seattle", "Pretty Woman","French Kiss", "Forget Paris", "You've Got Mail", "My Best Friend's Wedding", "While You Were Sleeping" "Notting Hill", " Runaway Bride" and the list can go on and on. As we entered the New millennium things for the Hollywood, the cycle started to change. The Rom-Com was still in being produced but we started to the beginning stage of Horror movies starting to rule the genre and the Rom-Com come toward the end of its box office dominance. I still write this type of genre just because I love the formula it takes to make a good romantic comedy. One, the characters have to be fallible and lovable at the same time. There has to be a existing relationship with one of the main characters. There has to be a deep seeded reason that the main character is still seeking their soulmate. There has to be a comic relief friend that gives bad advice on love and relationships or their has to be a funny situation that causes both main characters to have deal with each other and then there is the degree of difficulty of the finding true love. Then to finish things off the big decision, stay in a dead end relationship or take a chance on true love and the resolution that either leads to happiness or eternal love. The situation or environment cam always change but the fact that true love has to persevere is the main ingredient to making a successful story that people will want to imagine themselves in the story or wanting more...a sequel.  Which that in itself is a whole another topic. So if you don't have anything planned, make some popcorn, curl up under a cover and put on a romantic comedy. So until tomorrow, remember to follow me and share your ideas for a post. Like any good broadcaster with a good sign off, I bid you Adieu and this was.....Just a Thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Thought....Coping.

Just a Thought....Coping. I write this post tonight with a different heart and mindset. One of the hardest things to accept when you go down...