Previous Blog Posts

Sunday, July 28, 2019

Just a Thought....Breaking a Bad Habit.

Just a thought.....breaking a bad habit. So one of the things that I am trying to do in my latest attempt in my self-improvement is trying to break a bad habit that I have had since I was a kid. This is been the hardest of them all....biting my nails. Losing weight has been hard and is still a struggle but this is one that I have never been able to defeat. As a little kid, I don't know when I picked up this habit. I do remember doing it when I got nervous, so much so something that I would make my fingers bleed. I even developed some sort of worts on the tips of my cuticles from always having my fingers in my teeth biting off my fingernails. I would bite them down to the point of no existence. As I got older it just became a habit that I would do subconsciously without even think about it. I would do it most often when I was driving. My mind is so entrenched in watching the road trying to navigate my way safely to my destination yet I would have one hand on the steering wheel the other was in my teeth biting my nails off. My wife would tell me to stop biting my nails when we would drive together. She might see me doing it while watching a movie and ask me if this movie was that thrilling that I had to bite my nails. It was always a dead give away to her when something was wrong and she could read my body language. This newest attempt has been going good, really good. So much so I can actually see small fingernails. The hardest part has been when I am out on delivery and my mind wanders to cruise control and the sometimes boredom of the road has me trying to send my mind back to those old habits. I catch myself and pull my hands back. I have even tried a new routine to drive with gloves on the whole time so when my minds send the signal to reach my fingers to my teeth, the gloves are there as a barrier and a reminder that I am no going back. I know that everyone at one point in time had a bad habit or nervous tick that they would do without even knowing that they were doing it. So please hold a good thought for me on this journey and knock on wood, because I am going to fight this tooth and nails....get it. Okay, my attempt at humor might have fallen short but I plan not to this time. So until the next day, this was....just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Thought....Coping.

Just a Thought....Coping. I write this post tonight with a different heart and mindset. One of the hardest things to accept when you go down...