Previous Blog Posts

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Just a Thought...Acceptance

Just a Thought...Acceptance. This weekend I attended a birthday for my niece. It was a wonderful turnout and a good time was had by all. Most of the family gatherings always included some kind of physical activity. Whether it was soccer, volleyball or football. There was some sort of sport being played. It was one of my favorite kind of gathering because it was usually my time to shine. I loved playing these kinds of sport with the older guys. They would be impressed with my ability. I would watch my older uncles, cousins trying to play with the younger crowd. Thinking to myself the whole time "Why don't they give it up? Don't they know they are too old to play anymore." I understand why they did it as I get older myself. They still want to relive their youth. It feels good to be able to do something so well that was once so effortlessly easy. But even then there is an age where you can't even do a quarter what you were once able to do physically. I sympathize with pro athletes that one day has to look in the mirror and accept their fate. The physicality of play a sport takes a toll on the body and one day it just isn't the same. Everything hurts, even though the passion and drive are there, the ability to perform at a certain level to excel has deteriorated. This is where I stood yesterday, watching all my younger, much faster and agile nephews move like the wind. As much as I wanted to show that I could still perform in mind, my body just told me no way, Jose. I had to watch and accept that this was their time to shine. That I needed to move on. I sat quietly at times thinking about all the things that I was once able to do so fluidly. Old age and injuries to my body have taken a toll on my abilities to quote "Hang with the young Bulls." I will always the memories of my youth. I can tell the stories of my sandlot days, but don't want to be too cliche. I think that as age has given me more wisdom, it has also taken certain parts of my physical prowess. I accept that I will be this way for the rest of my time on earth but I also figured that I can teach what I know. To me, it was almost just as fun as being out there doing it yourself. As I inch closer to turning forty-five, I've come to enjoy taking it a bit easier. I also find it hard to not listen to that voice in my head telling me to go try and run-pass patterns with these young boys and show them what you got. Then I think about getting up the next to go to work and remember that my body doesn't recover so quickly anymore. I accept that I am not the alpha anymore but I can still be part of the pack. So until tomorrow friends, remember to count your blessing every day and that this was.....just a thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Thought....Coping.

Just a Thought....Coping. I write this post tonight with a different heart and mindset. One of the hardest things to accept when you go down...