Previous Blog Posts

Monday, September 9, 2019

Just a Thought....Dictionaries.

Just a Thought...Dictionaries. So I went to buy my daughter a dictionary the other day for school. I remember when you could get them anywhere. So didn't find one at Wal-Mart or Target. I found a small one at Office Depot but it was a small font piece of crap. Didn't think I would need to go to a specialty store to find a good one. But nowadays everything is available at the touch of your hands. So the need for one has gone the way of the encyclopedia and the Phone book. I mean really, who still uses a phone book except to even out a table leg or to use as a fire starter. I still laugh that people still actually bring you a page-turning yellow pages phone book. I mean the cost to produce those things has to be expensive. The time to find advertisers, production cost and distribution. I am sure that they can't be making a sizeable profit if any. Plus who actually thinks these days that is a good investment to bring in sales. These days it's all about SEO and finding an influencer to market your sales. When ROI is your main concern, I don't think a print to paper option is the best method to produce peak sales. Which I don't understand the use of a paper dictionary anymore unless you find it easier to use. But you can just as easily find it online. I can't comprehend why my daughter's teacher would ask her to get one. They do everything else on computers. They use iPads at school, they don't have actual textbooks anymore, everything is either a work packet or worksheet that is printed out from one textbook for 22 students. How did the school make out like bandits by not having to buy so many textbooks anymore? Regardless, I still now have a quest to buy a better dictionary that I will have to put on a bookshelf that won't get used as often as it would have been back in the day. My hope is that my daughter will use it to expand her word knowledge but if she was anything like me, I only used it to find the meaning to so many curse words. I was terrible, what can I say. So for those of you out there that still use Phone Books, Dictionaries, Encyclopedias and fax machines good for you. Hold on to the memories for as long as you can. It's all about what is easiest for you. So until tomorrow folks..this is Goodnight Gracie and oh yeah...this was just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Thought....Coping.

Just a Thought....Coping. I write this post tonight with a different heart and mindset. One of the hardest things to accept when you go down...