Previous Blog Posts

Monday, August 12, 2019

Just a Thought.....Musical Taste.


Just a Thought.....Musical Taste. One of the fondest memories as a kid growing was the drive to school that my dad had to make to drop us off at school. He would listen to what was either called an adult contemporary station or oldies station. We would hear a song like Woman by John Lennon or Don't Stop by Fleetwood Mac and it would be an instant groan from the peanut gallery in the back. Unaware of the greatness of what we were hearing, we would complain and moan for Pop to put it on something cool like the local rock station "THE EAGLE" so we could hear the likes of Def Leopard or Quiet Riot. Something cool, not old people music....The Beatles..who? Who wants to hear that crap...I am missing the latest RATT song....this blows. It was worse when he would listen to the oldies station. It was always a nut kick when Frankie Valli and The Four Season would come on...that was his jams "My Eyes Adored You" was a sing-along every time. It is now one of my favorite memories of my Dad. I now find myself listen to those songs and sing with passion and fervor. I now hear those same moans when I put on Pearl Jam, STP or Nirvana. I know that music has to be a punch to the gut for my kiddos. I just do it sometimes because I know it bores them to death. I like to listen to the whines to change it another station or put ion a movie. I miss that aspect of being a kid but enjoy it as a parent. That I am subliminally training their musical taste. That one day when I am old or gone that they too will remember the days that they had to listen to "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots because dad would sing the lyrics as though he was putting on a concert. To quote a good friend "Music....The Heart's Greatest Librarian." carries so many truths and that my musical taste was developed before I knew what great music was when I was a young punk. Thank you, Dad, where ever you are in heaven, I know your singing along. So until we do this again tomorrow. This was.....just a thought. Thank you, Kate Stewart for the quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just a Thought....Coping.

Just a Thought....Coping. I write this post tonight with a different heart and mindset. One of the hardest things to accept when you go down...